15 Questions to Ask After a Winter Snow Event
Every member of a public works or roads department wants to ensure that they are keeping the roads clear during and after a winter snow event. Their friends and family are driving on the roads that they are plowing and treating with de-icing and anti-icing products. To provide the best response possible, here are a few questions you can ask as you review your department’s performance after a winter snow event.
Winter Snow Event Questions
- Did we clear the primary/major roads within a reasonable timeframe?
- Were the main thoroughfares through town (interstate, state, and main streets) cleared in preparation for morning traffic?
- Did the transit and school bus routes get cleared in time for the buses to run?
- Were the major trucking routes addressed as a priority and round the clock?
- Did the routes to major industrial areas and mail delivery routes get cleared in a reasonable time?
- Did the routes to the local hospitals and fire stations receive priority clearance?
- Did we get to the secondary roads within a reasonable timeframe?
- Were any areas missed? Were they missed repeatedly or just during severe storms?
- How does the accident rate compare to the previous 5 years?
- Has the average daily traffic (ADT) increased, decreased or stayed the same?
- Were the stopping points (traffic signals, stop signs, railroad crossing, and other intersections) treated with extra care? (more Ice Slicer, another pass with the plow, etc.)
- Do the treated areas overlap to prevent unexpected slick areas?
- Were ramps and other approaches to major city routes treated early in the storm?
- Were all potential hazards that would be covered in snow clearly marked such as drop inlets, catch basins, ends of curbing, guardrails, fire hydrants and drain locations?
- Was the snow fencing placed properly? Should there be any adjustments between storms?
Snow/Ice Event Report
We’ve created a Snow/Ice Event Report that you can use to gather the data after each storm – you can download it here. These questions are just the start of evaluating a department’s response after a winter snow event. What would you add to this list? Please share in the comments.
Desert Mountain Corporation – Keeping Roads Safe Since 1990